Monday 23 March 2009

What Keeps You Awake At Night?

One of the themes of last week's World Entrepreneur Society 2009 Summit was “What keeps you awake at night?”

A lot of varied and interesting discussions have sprung up around this theme and, inevitably, the answers are very personal to individuals and specific to their businesses. It is interesting, however, to notice both the common threads in people's answers and acknowledge how few of us are getting any rest being kept awake, as it seems we all are, by one thing or another.

Just to join the bandwagon:
In no particular order, here's my Top 10 :

1) Wondering if there is really a specific place in the economy for 'Social Enterprise' or whether all Enterprise must become inherently more social?

2) Fear of missed opportunities (for me, much more frightening than 'fear of failure')

3) The dissonance between what I think is the bravest, boldest and best course of action vs. that which I feel I have the confidence and skills to pursue

4) Reading my RSS feeds

5) A constant string of 'To Do Tomorrows' popping into my head

6) Wondering what action I'll take if the recession makes raising this additional funding impossible / Wondering if I would recognise when it was time to give up and move on

7) A near obsessive checking of Social Networking sites

8) A veracious appetite for personal study. Distance courses, factual books, language studies, how-to websites, things which I can't make space during the day for but really want to spend time on

9) Deadlines / late nights / early flights which mean I just miss getting to bed altogether

10) Though truly disturbing how little it now affects me, occasionally I'm kept awake by the obscene amount of caffeine I like to consume during the day

Although if i'm honest, 9 times out of 10, it's No.3.

No comments: